Bayer-FTC: There is nothing to explain: two-nil is two-nil – Cherchesov
As we reported, Ferencváros lost 2–0 to Bayer Leverkusen in Germany in the first leg of their Europa League round of 16. At the post-match press conference, the head coaches assessed what they had seen.
|There is nothing to explain: two-nil is two-nil... (Photo: AFP)|
A mini interview with Ferencváros head coach Stanislav Cherchesov:
– The opposing team scored the first goal at the beginning and the second one at the end of the match: does it annoy you?
– We were playing against a good team, and away from home, so it's not surprising that we had to fight hard. After the early goal, we pulled ourselves together, but we must admit that Leverkusen possessed the ball more.
– After the break, Ferencváros seemed to have become braver: what did you talk about in the dressing room at half-time?
– Even when we were at a disadvantage, there was no reason to run headlong into the brick wall. We had opportunities and I asked the team to not give the opponents any space. We have one more Hungarian league game before the Europa League return leg; from Friday, we will concentrate on the match against Puskás Akadémia, and only then will the return leg against Bayer Leverkusen come. There is nothing to explain: two-nil is two-nil...
– Is there any chance of winning in the second leg?
– More than two thousand supporters came with us to Leverkusen, and there will be many more at the Puskás Aréna. Hopefully, our fans will once again create an unforgettable atmosphere, which will help the team a lot.
A mini interview with Bayer Leverkusen head coach Xabi Alonso:
– Are you satisfied with the two-goal win?
– I have no reason to complain. It was as difficult a match as I expected. Ferencváros didn't get this far by luck, and they proved it against us.
– Did the Hungarian team surprise you in any way?
– We were expecting Ferencváros to defend massively, and they did. The midfielders closed well in front of the defensive line, we had a hard time getting past this wall, so we had to try reaching the goal with long shots. It was good for us that we scored relatively early in the game, which set the tone for the match.
– Is the final result decided already?
– Of course not! A two-goal advantage at home is not bad, but I expect another tough game in Budapest in a week.
ROUND OF 16, FIRST MATCH
BAYER LEVERKUSEN (Germany)–FERENCVÁROS 2–0 (1–0)
Leverkusen, BayArena, 25 001 spectators. Referee: Massa (Italy)
LEVERKUSEN: Hrádecky – Kossounou, Tah, E. Tapsoba – J. Frimpong, Amiri, Demirbay, Hincapié – M. Diaby (Hlozek, 71.), Azmun (A. Adli, 60.), Wirtz (Schick, 89.). Head coach: Xabi Alonso
FERENCVÁROS: Dibusz – Botka (Wingo, 87.), Abena, Knoester, Civic – Zachariassen, Esiti, Vécsei – Marquinhos (Gojak, 78.), R. Mmaee, A. Traoré (Frederiksen, 87.). Head coach: Stanislav Cherchesov
Goal scorers: Demirbay (9.), Tapsoba (86.)
ONLIVE COVERAGE, FUN FACTS AND STATISTICS HERE!